Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Treated like Royalty

Lunch: They, the mayor and his wife, asked where my lunch was and I said since I was stuck in Galati I didn't have time to make one, but I'd bring one tomorrow.
The wife whips out a table cloth, female coworkers clear off a desk in front of a computer, mayor's wife dishes out 3 pieces of grilled chicken onto a porcelain plate that came out from somewhere, Leno cuts me fresh bread, Nina from another office comes out with a plate of salt, the mayor's wife washes and cuts radishes, a fork and a knife is set before me with a folded napkin and a moistened hand towel, there is another knife for cutting more bread off the loaf, and the mayor's wife gives me 4 finger deserts that she just got as a gift from a bakery. It was great team work right there and it took maybe 6 minutes to put together, and inside I was giggling cause it was a little ridiculous, in the kindest way possible.
I felt like a pampered princess...I am not a princess, I understand I am a guest, but are all guest treated like this?
BATHROOM:
Here I experience those stereotype Peace Corps moments you see in pictures, and you can all imagine:
I wanted to use the restroom at the Primaria for the first time, I knew it was a hole in the ground type, but I had to go. I asked someone where it was, and I was handed a roll of paper and escorted around the building to the outhouse.
A group of kids ...I guess were I don't know why they were there, but the were just outside the mayor's office and they saw us and they surrounded me and asked me questions.
I needed to use the restroom and there's 3 stalls facing the open, and no small corner wall or curtains.
There were about 20 kids that were just surrounding me....so I told my escort: her name is Mihaela and she works at the librarian at the Primaria, that I didn't want to go anymore.
It was cute, but yeah...I just had to hold it in until I got home.

5 comments:

Cynthia said...

Have I met Kirkish's brother before? I know we've been friends for...less than 4 years, but I don't think I have yet. I only now know: his sister likes wine, his brother is tall, and I've met his mom. Does he have a dad?

katie said...

hahahah awkwarrrddd

Cynthia said...

Yes awkward, but funny in my head.

Unknown said...

Well you would have met them all, but you had to go home for our Graduation. I guess you'll just have to wait until you get back to me them.

Cynthia said...

2 words: Cousin's wedding
2 excuses: First person in my generation of family to marry.
I had already walked in June.

Not meeting your family: un-priceless