[Kids from 1st class to 4th class are primary classes, kids from 5th - 8th are in gymnasium]
-I know I didn't spell these exactly correct, but if you want to know more about the Romanian Education system...sadly I think it's better than the American...me not being a professional teacher. From my view, they're style looks more productive, more efficient, more modern than ours.
Kids in primary classes have class 8-12, and kids in gymnasium have class 12-5:30, and it's scientifically known that kids at the gymnasium age learn better in the afternoons.
I sat in on a 7th grade class today and they were learning about Moles, and balancing chemical equations, and stuff I learned in 10th grade Honors chemistry.
Anyway, I was walking and I had flowers to put in the teachers office, it's a special type of pansy that grows only in this region of Romania and I think they're BEAUTIFUL!

I figured they'd look better at the school than in my house, and they teachers are super friendly and welcoming there.
I go there and bug them just about every day, and they haven't started to exclude me from their conversations (I really can't understand most of it right now, and it's even harder to understand when you're eavesdropping), but sometimes they see me trying and they translate for me =)
I hope this relationship lasts, cause I like them at this school.
Anyway, 15 minutes in, I was thinking about...maybe getting a ride from someone I knew in town who drives or *I was hoping pretty hard* that a horse drawn cart would give me a ride.
A mom with her son saw me!!!! and offered me a ride! and I said "DA!"
These carts have brakes, and they stopped and I got on while she said "incet, incet" [uhn-chet, uhn-chet] (slowly, slowly), and she offered me a spot on the bench with them and off we went!!
I still had to walk the last 10 minutes to get to my lesson, but it was fun! Here's my pictures and this boy is in the 7th class at one of the schools.
More tutoring tomorrow...I can't remember the last time I've had a personal 1 on 1 tutor for anything. I do hope I learn faster....
I have 3 teachers helping me now = )
Boy am I lucky and they have patience too and 1 teacher invited me to spend a weekend at her place in Galati, which was lots of fun and it felt like hanging out with a person my age in an apartment in the city in the US. (More to come on this experience, but it's late now).
And a drink to: more caroti rides in the future! Poor whipped horses though, but that's their job here. Probably not all people, but I do see some of it done, but mostly to scare the horse into going straight or faster.
2 comments:
Hi Cynthia! My name is Natalie and I am coming (tomorrow) with PCRO group 25 for TEFL.
I was just wondering as a last minute opinion what your take is on Skirt lengths in Romania?! I brought a few with me (and i know this is random) but I was just thinking they may be too short! (they are just at knee length... and i have no idea what is appropriate.)
Thanks for your input, and hopefully I will be meeting you!
Natalie Dall'Olmo
Well, I am with a professional romanian right now and her opinion is: this place is not as conservative as you'd think. They wear hot boots, and skirts and fur vests. It will depend on if you are in the city (where they are more stylish) or in the rural place. I am in the country but people wear skirts, and they're not above the knees, but they can be at the knees.
Good luck!!! I hope to see you soon!!
Post a Comment