But I had an adventure this weekend, and really I can't not blog it. There are lots of things I want to blog about, like culture differences and odd things I see and then how I react to them, like the fact that my physician in Mastacani I saw walking around in a fuzzy white bathrobe in front of the Mayor's office on Friday.
I wasn't that weirded out, I think I'm desensitized from ...college? but I do remember thinking *she is such a valued professional in this little village, like the mayor, who wears a leather jacket and jeans and tennis shoes all the time, she can wander around in a bathrobe and it's okay.*
People get casual in the US too, I mean, a few years back, kids all wore pjs to school, and some still do.
I later remembered that I was told Lots of doctors do that here, or at least it's actually part of the doctor dress code here!!
And while at first, it's odd and kinda creepy, it does make sense later because hospitals here aren't the perfect temp all the time like the US, and these places do get very very cold, so doctors have got to stay warm.
Another thing I find "different" is that the first questions people will straight out ask you/me are: how old are you? how much do you make? do you have a husband? boyfriend? no, not one in the states, one in Romania? why not?
It's just slightly different because these aren't usual things strangers ask in the US, not in CA at least.
Okay: Now STORY
Saturday was normal: I woke, cooked, ate, and cleaned a lot. Oh, I was invited to Luciana's house for lunch. Her whole family from all over, even from Italy were back and they invited me to eat with them. It was fun, there were happy kids, and there were lots of smiles and they were very welcoming. I left about 2 because I told them I had things to do.
The mayor's wife just asked me to keep this place clean, so I wanted to make time to do it all. Dusted, vacuumed, glass, wood, rug, etc...I wanted Sunday free too.
My plans for Sunday: wake up, go to the piata, go to Galati and just chat with Emily and Nils and maybe an older PVC Marie (who's in Group 21 and leaving in less than 2 months, she's also in CED and she lives in Galati), and then go home, use the internet and go to bed.
What REALLY happened:
I woke up late, went to the piata (I saw LOTS of horse drawn carts, there's patches of trees, and there's the piata on Sundays) and talked to random people and introduced myself, but the piata was closing and I was brave enough to go there by myself, but it would have been better to have a friend with me the first time and to introduce me to people, I bought bananas, and on my way back to my apartment I stopped by Luciana's house to ask her for logistics about Galati: which maxi taxi to take, how much does it cost, how to get around town, etc, etc..
She then invited me to lunch, and her dad, and it's fried fish with lemon and pepper...so I had to stay =) and one of her brother's family was still there too, so I got to share the whole thing with them: why I'm here, how I got in, where I'm from, is hollywood there, etc... That was cool.
Luciana, my self appointed bodyguard, was actually heading to Galati too, and while I wanted to be independent, I saw wisdom with going with her the first time. After talking over lunch, we decided to meet at 2:30 to leave for Galati by maxi taxi (so I could see how it was done). When I get home, my neighbor sees me and her daughters (about 14 and 16) and they are BBQing chicken and they want me to try some soup, cheese, chicken with this sauce, and mamaliga, so....I was in their kitchen, but I told them I had to meet Luciana and I wasn't hungry, they gave it all to me in plates, and they helped carry it to my apt so I could eat it later.
At 2:30 Luciana is by my door and we go to Galati by car (oh well), and then I get dropped off where Marie and Emily and Nils tell me go to.
Marie is having a luncheon with people from their church (disclaimer: all this stuff is my own personal experience/opinions and not reflection of peace corps and such) (When you're in Peace Corps you can't have kids during service and you cannot preach your religion...or convert other volunteers. It's actually really nice to know that PC is protecting you, because some people can be pushy about that kind of stuff), anyway, they had a ...Hawaiian poured salad? (rice, with milk and butter sauce, pineapples, green onion, flaked coconut, and chicken), a giant salad and Mormon taramisu (the same but without the rum and the coffee, because Mormons are discouraged from eating those kind of things).
Basically I had 3 lunches that day.
Anyway, after that lunch, which was fun and I had a great time talking to Sister and Elder Bryson and Brent, and EmilyNils, and Marie, Marie took Emily and Nils to the right maxitaxi to get home, and then she took me to get a hair dryer in the city, and we went to get me a maxi taxi. .....
For some reason...taxis end early on Sundays, we're not actually sure there were any going out to the villages on Sunday.
After standing there for over 45 mins, until 7:30pm, we gave up and this decision was made:
I would stay overnight at Marie's, even though she had no mattress (which I really don't care about), and I would try to take a taxi home Monday morning before I had work at 8am.
I could have called my bodyguard and I'm sure either she or my counterpart of someone would have come and gotten me...but on a scale of 1-10 (10 being worried or scared) I was 2.
I don't know, I trusted Marie (even thought I only really met her that day) but she's a PCV, and if I was late for work people would understand that there's no schedule What-so-ever for maxi taxi's here (maxi taxis are large vans that drive back and forth between locations, kind of like the vans at Poly that took you directly home), and I joined Peace Corps....what else should I have expected.
After we gave up on the maxi taxi deal, we were planning on how to get me to work the next morning, and I remembered that Brent (the guy I met during lunch) said that he'd driven by my yellow bloc before, and that he drove past my place at the same time I usually started walking to work. Perfect!!!! So Marie got Brent's number, and called him up, and asked for a favor, and we got me a ride for the next day. ALL solved!
After all the logistics were done, we chill-laxed and Marie showed me all of Galati basically, we met up with 3 of here friends later and we were introduced to the Danube River.
1 of those friends was someone from the US and as much of a tourist as I was: as seen by the pictures below. There's me, the tourist, and Marie =D
I look like Spider Girl. *you hear theme song for spider man*
There were mosquitoes at Marie's place, but I donned a pair of rented pants, washed my face, covered myself with mosquito repellent, and went to bed (oddly, there's no mosquitoes in my apt, but 5 I saw at here place!!!) I do have netting over my windows.
Oh and we pillow talked (that's what girls, and cool boys do) and I called my mom to wish her "Happy Mother's day," using Marie's stuff! That generous Marie!
We both, not morning people, woke up at 6:15am! and I got my ride to Mastacani.
Yay for Brent!!!
Yay for Marie!! She said repeatedly that she felt bad about me not getting a ride back, she feels responsible because she's the older and wiser Volunteer and she let me down, NOT SO!
I didn't ask people what time the taxi's started and ended, so it was my responsibility to ask those things.
Anyway, it was actually really fun. I am tired, but my day was great on the whole! On top of feeding me, giving me stuff for sleeping with, gave me a tooth brush!, and letting me use her laptop and Mess credits to call my family! Marie gave me like 9 books too!!! What a Gal! Iubiesc reading!! ( I love reading!)
I got make up on, and the right shoes, and my nice trench coat on before work. I ate ice cream, and cookies, and .....I am treated like a princess.
Look who else I saw in Galati o_O
I had to take pictures for proof:
5 comments:
You are too funny! I feel like I have been immortalized in your blog here. Its a good thing I am leaving. There is no way I could live up to the high expectations every would have of me now. ;)
I'm so glad you were here. Can't wait to see you again!
Marie
wow, what an adventurous day. sounds fun! dude, you are gonna get fat with people feeding you like that all the time, hahaha.
Who was it that you saw? Am I dense or missing something?
you are such a little stalker cynth...don't try to hide it! I love you and miss you so much!
I actually didn't know the people, I saw asians, and I took pictures.
I am a stalker..sorta (I'm an Asian with a camera...= stalker)and I totally missed Marie (the PCV) jumping up and down flailing her arms around supposedly, while stalking.
They're like a rare bird, gotta take a picture.
I guess I could have looked in mirror too, huh?
Post a Comment