Wednesday, June 11, 2008

I may have gotten in trouble by PC = I am locking my blog soon

Let's review what I wrote:

Saturday, May 24, 2008

Tiganii (Gypsies)

Well...I had a semi long adventurous day again.
I woke, I took my laundry out to dry in the sun (noted that my semi yellowish , originally white t-shirt has semi brown and green on it too now),
so I ate lunch (pasta sauce, pasta, bread, and lots of green garlic!),
walked to the Primaria for the exercise (about a 35-40 min walk),
saw about 40 kids walk towards me to go to a "f-unc-da-ziaiy" (a carnival!?),
got picked up 1/3 of the way there by a co-worker at the Primaria,
a lady who's a teacher at the school is running to be the first female Primar (mayor) asked me to go to a function with her,
I said good bye to Lilly and the present mayor (Domnul Ivan, who is my counterpart for PC) and went with a competitor to "f-unc-da-ziaiy" (a carnival!?),
was bored with 50 kids in a room upstairs at a house waiting for 3 hours for something!,
I was at campaigning event to brainwash kids to vote a certain way, with soda, and cookies, and a priest and I learned I was at a "Foundation for Children," and I was not very happy about it,

much later....
I decided to go for a walk, saw a lady who worked at the old folks home and walked with her (my real plan was to walk by the tiganii(gypsies) that have been calling for me to come over last time),
I saw the lady to her home and said goodbye,
while walking back down to go towards my home I walked by the tiganii and they asked me to come over and I did (I had with me my phone, 3 ron, and my keys),
I had learned from that lady that these gypsies had been there for 1 month, and that different ones came and went (this lessened the pressure I felt to get to know the gypsies),
never-the-less I went over and introduced myself and talked to them (a mom and her many kids making coffee over a fire outside their tent),

They were friendly and open and curious.
I did honestly feel nervous around them, standing there talking to them, wondering who was watching and what they thought, and the gypsies, I think, knew it too.
I was polite and cautious....I'm not sure why I was alert, but I was.
A little Romanian girl who'd befriended me ran up to us after I'd been there 10 minutes and helped with the conversation and explaining things she already knew about me. The gypsies were more introvert when she was there and they gave me space. Later I found out, even though the girl spoke to the gypsies and explained things to them politely, she didn't like them. She went there to help me (that was sweet of her). She was hesitant about telling the adults where we came back from, but she's young enough that she did tell them we were talking to the tiganii.

The gypsies in my village were curious about my age and where I was from. They tried to teach me a few phrases in Tigani (gypsie langauge), but I've forgotten them. They were curious about a few phrases in Chinese too. The mom was obviously the boss and she reminded me of an Italian mom, big, nurturing, giant heart with presence. She had lots of kids and it was like a silly question that I asked how many.

I am trying to figure out if gypsies that want to integrate into the community are easily accepted. I see darker kids that get along great with lighter skinned kids and there's zip-o segregation. I wonder if those darker kids are gypsie originated or just darker skinned Romanians.

Bias and stereotypes exist for a reason (I believe), but not everyone falls into these stereotypes and people should get the benefit-of-the-doubt before you judge them.

I don't understand this culture, but like any culture, I am willing to learn.

Here is the comment I got, and the one I left:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cyn, you need to take a good look inside yourself. Before you label people please look at what you think about the world. Are you really at the position to judge people or do you think you still need to learn a little? Calling people names after only being here just a little while displays your ignorance. Just take some time to think....

Cynthia said...

Who are you?

I don't think you may have understood my blog. My blog in intended to show my opinions of my experience, as you, of course, have your own opinions, because usually I try to keep an open mind about cultures and meeting people.
What you said really hurt my feelings (like a slap in the face), since I am working really hard to be fair and open to everyone I meet.
I'm sorry you have a negative impression of me, and if you did you have something to add to my experience to help me grow, that would be kind of you if I knew you, but if you are here to criticize my opinions and my experiences, please have them be constructive.


Here is an email we all received from our director, it may not only be me, but...the timing and all. It's sad cause I do make the effort to be open and unbias and I want to let anyone who's interested to read this blog but......oh well.

Please send me an email if you would like to continue reading my blog =) and you're not out to get me.

To: PCRO Community

From: Ken
Date: June 11, 2008
RE: Blogs

Over the past two days, Peace Corps Romania has been contacted by several host agency officials, partners, potential partners and Americans with complaints and/or concerns about material posted on PCV and PCT blogs perceived as culturally offensive.

While the PCVs/PCTs did not intend to offend anyone, please be aware that by the Peace Corps Manual (Section 204, para. 3.11) Volunteers and Trainees are accountable for their public communications, and for any adverse consequences that may arise in their country of assignment from those communications. As such, if material posted by a PCV or PCT on their blog negatively impacts their relationship with a host agency, the image of the Peace Corps or the PCRO program, the PCV/T is subject to administrative action.

Specifically the PC Manual states, “publication of material which subsequently results in adverse consequences for the Volunteer, Trainee or the program, may be grounds for administrative separation.”

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't know if those dates line up with you Cynthia, but if they do that is crap. Who ever posted that comment was (and yes I am being politically incorrect) STUPID. Whoever "Anonymous" was owes you an apology. It is clear this person didn't even read the full blog. "Anonymous" is the ignorant coward, who looks to pick on those who are trying to help other and in doing so learn about their culture. Cynthia, I hope you don't let this whole incident get you down.
Be sure to put me on your safe list because I enjoy reading your blog and hear about your journeys.

Lyle said...

I'm not out to get you, and I want to keep on reading.
I don't know who 'anonymous' was, but I don't see anything that was offensive in your post. They're off their rocker.

Don't shut down unless PC actually contacts you specifically. If you haven't been contacted, it's likely that it's not specifically directed towards you. If you're really concerned, forward the post and comments to your AO or CD and ask if they agree. Communication!

Charmaine said...

Put me on the good list. Seems like the person didn't read the whole post especially the part about being willing to learn about the culture.

Anonymous said...

Cynthia...put me on your good list. I love your blog.

Unknown said...

I've been reading your blog for a little while. I find it very interesting and I'd like to be able to read it and from now on. I looked for your mail address aroud here but I haven't found it,so please add me too

Cynthia said...

I was mad at that person, but after thinking some (it helps), while I don't like the idea that a person is not...very kind about how they leave comments, they are interested about my experience, so that in itself is a good thing. I'm here to help people, but also to share an "adventure" with people who can't/won't do what I'm doing right now (though they secretly want to).
I'll keep writing, and putting pictures up, and of course, I do have a disclaimer too.

Anonymous said...

count me in pleeeeease... miss you!