Saturday, October 11, 2008

List of Complaints as of Today:

So....I admit, I am a bit frustrated about a couple things, but there are lots of happy things too: like this full box of semi-melted Trader Joes chocolates next to me.

At first my bathroom ceiling in was leaking. It war resolved by the person upstairs putting a stopper in the pipe leaking.

Next the pipe under my sink started to flow and go all over the floor, and when people came to fix that the shower was leaking.

After that, the people upstairs and my landlord determined that the old water system must be stopped and that my hot water boiler is not working because of this old system, so men came last week: 7 construction men, and put new piping in and took stuff out. They kindly left dirt, wood grains and platic everywhere for me to clean up.

That same evening I noticed a leaking on the kitchen floor. I called my landlord and told her...and they said they'd fix it the next day. 8 days later...it's softened the frame of my kitchen door and it's seeping into the hall. I'm using towels to soak up as much as I can, but...I did what I could. I've told them every other day the whole week: my landlord and her husband. Ground in kitchen = "water bed" floor right now

Other topic: I have a Peace Corps conference next week called: IST or In-service Trainging where I'll be attending workshops on how to make me a more effective volunteer, a language test to see if I've grown more fluent, etc... It's from Monday - Saturday and on Friday and Saturday our counterparts are invited to attend.
This is exciting for me! To see other volunteers after about 5 1/2 months of being seperated, BUT it's really not all that exciting in terms of listening to presentations about Everyone's experience, reassurance from our staff, blah blah blah.
Fun part is: my countpart was ..more or less forbidden to attend the conference with me because the Mayor of the village doesn't want him to go. He wants to go, which is super flattering! I was the only person in our group with a Mayor as a counterpart (in the US I didn't really think much of mayors...but maybe cause I'm from the huge city of SJ) Anyway, you may all remember that my counterpart WAS the mayor, and now is the vice-mayor. It's flattering...but from what was a nice PC week has turned into a political situation. The mayor wants to go, or someone else to go, my counterpart wants to go cause I think it's personal and partly political, ...and the Mayor next door is joking now that he wants to go too.

1 week of this, with me trying to be diplomatic too, I tried!!! and I didn't insult anyone, but I didn't settle the issue either. PC is telling me to be flattered and take this funny..it is, but I also feel like a trophy right now too. (Asian trophy, trophy wife, trophy American...really I'm flattered but...)

Other complaint: My bug bites, I really think they were bed bug bites are not puffy, but they're big and bold and obvious on my body, they are also dry and they itch. On top of that, I think I have a food allergy too cause every day more spots appear on my body: maybe 3-7 every day: on arms, legs, back, neck, eyebrow, etc... For the bug problem, I bug bombed my bedroom and hall, switched rooms for 2 weeks, and sanatized Everything. For food allergy problem, I have been taking allergy medicine and I have been eating super plain foods: boiled potatoes, boiled carrots, PB and J sandwhiches, PB and J sandwhiches, Butter and J sandwhiches, and coffee. I did that for about 6 days and quit after I didn't get better. I have an appointment with our doctor at IST now.

Anyway: housing complains, work complaints, health complaints...yeah, don't get me wrong, still Love Peace Corps and my work and the people here. I'm just a little fed up with some things. Oh! and it's pretty cold and I have wood, but they're not chopped! cause the mayor and vice mayor are too preoccupied to get people here to chop it for me to use!

Going on vacation to a hotel in Mierciurea Ciuc next week...I hope all problems will be over when I get back!


I also have this bottle of Must [moo-st] I got as a gift: it's wine before wine and tis' tasty. I didn't know it existed and it's really popular here. If this bottle looks familiar, people re-use water and soda bottles here for milk and wine.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

need me to send raid????

Cynthia said...

No. I don't need raid, I have 2 bottles of raid. No more bug bites for now since it's Winter...I hope. I heard I have scabes...that's what my doctor told me on my check up last week. Now I get to sleep with insecticide on.

I am in the safest Peace Corps placement area..so this is actually pretty wild.