Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Men/guys (typ) in Romania

Guys are called "typ" in Romanian.

But yeah, to continue on the whole being bribed on my vacation to be nice to someone's son....

I don't think I'm that great looking, but it is really unsettling how many people have been hitting on me these last few months. MOst of them creepy guys! There are a few non-creepy ones, but I dunno...Hitting as in: 1. they talk to me, 2. they ask me about where I'm from, 3. they state something they think they know about the US or China, 4. they ask me my age, 5. they ask if I'm married or if I have a bf, 6. they ask for my phone number and if I want to share a sook with them (soda)

My actions: 1. I ignore, but them I remember that I'm a volunteer so then politely reply if they're not totally gross and stupid (as in shouting kung-fu sounds, making kissing sounds as if I'm a dog, etc..), 2. I tell them the US parents from China, 3. I nod and smile, 4. I tell them (now that I think about it, I should like and say 12 years old), 5. in my village I tell the truth, but outside the village I lie and I have a bf in the US and he's visiting soon, 6. before I told people I don't understand Romanian by phone, but now I tell people my phone is for business only, and I am leaving (where I'm visiting) so I will probably never see them again.

Landlord's son situation....I will have to see. He has lots of reasons to visit and to call unfortunately =/ He's washed, and not drunk and a total farm boy, but I'm not interested.

Info for females: the guys pursue you more here, so if you like being pursued, and they are more chivalrous in certain ways because there are more gender roles here, BUT there are some things that are irritating like: when a man/guy comes up to a group they only shake the hands of the other men/guys/boys and they completely ignore you. Women serve the men here for food and drinks etc... and it's so subtle and normal you don't think much of it since everything else looks the same as attitudes in the US.

Girls and guys all can "poop" each other though if they know each other.

Maybe the kindest and least dramatic way...hum, I think is just to "admit" I do have a bf in the US, and I'll use when I travel to say that I'm going to "meet up" with him.

Any advice??? This is a slightly political situation.

No comments: