Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Day at the beach - Constanta

So it's about a 4-5 hour drive from my site to the beach. If I were to go by myself or with other volunteers, or friends and family from the state, we would use public transportation and it would take longer.
This is a channel that the communist Dictator had all the intellectual people manually build. His goal was to have it connect to Bucuresti (the capital of Romania) but the revolution happened, and the Dictator was held to trial and "put down" before the channel could be finished. It's pretty close to being done, but my guides told me that it's unsure when or if it ever will be "completed."

Here's a ship with the city's name. It's a landmarking item. This next picture is Not Only a landmark, but also a lighthouse for ships.

Here we are at a beach restaurant where I got a iced coffee drink and ice cream and food. My travelmate's sister works there and she's a manager.
While I was sitting there, sipping on my frap (no starbucks, but it's an iced creamy coffee flavored drink) I felt like a horrible spoiled volunteer. YES. (it's okay though, I've been back to my site for 1 month, and Life HERE all but made up for it: with the lightning and no water and no electricity and stuff). I don't know if African serving volunteers get to spend a weekend at the beach drinking fraps and sunbathing for 2 days for free. =/

On beach was more secluded, and the other is where we stayed and it's where Bush went to visit.

No such thing as "Topless Beach" in Romania because ALL beaches CAN be topless beaches. I took this for the umbrellas, but there's a picture of the thong swim suits and a person preparing to be topless. Men wear speedos a lot too.
Me being silly, I did go swimming 3 times!! The first day in the warm water! and the 2nd day I went swimming once and I found large seashells to give to my kids in the village as prizes. They cut up my feet!! But I lived, they were shallow.

Here's picture of us: my counterpart, my tour guide, and my counterpart's wife, and me =D

I tore off the pink flower after that trip.
If you're wondering: yes we do have, I think 2 or 3 volunteers stationed there.
P.S.S. If you're wondering how much this cost me, it was almost free, which worries me. Why? I think the intention is honest, but I know I'm kinda being ...bribed in a tiny way because my landlord has this son...and he lives there in that city, and I can't be mean to him or totally ignore him now can I.
We didn't see him there, he was away, but he did call me every day while we where there.

3 comments:

Lyle said...

We had the beach, but no 'fraps'. We did have wonderful fruit juices though... but rarely for free. At least not for me. Certainly there were some volunteers more conveniently located near the beach that had hook-ups though...

I'm jealous! Looks awesome!

Roxana said...

did u have a seweed in one of the pictures?:)

amelia said...

geez so sex-ay adn there is seaweed in ur hair. lol i thought u got green highlights or something...