I will be gone from Miercuri noapte (Wednesday night) pana (until) Duminica (Sunday) because we are going on site visits this week.
Ergo: I won't be able to go online for a while.
It may be like real Peace Corps now, or what I expected of Peace Corps.
I know, expecting anything is bad, so I will work on un-expecting for my site visit.
Tomorrow we meet our "counterparts" the person who will be our "in," maybe our friend, definitely our interpreter and anchor at our new sites.
I don't have any expectations because I don't know where to begin: male/female, young/old, typeA/typeB??
I have told my gazda family that I'm leaving town for a few days and our language classes have been canceled this week though our profesori (plural professor) gave us plenty of tema (homework) to keep us writing Romanian.
It's nice to have this break from language class, but also kind of a bummer because there are things I don't understand about making correct sentences.
I remember in 1st grade our teacher telling us that "nice" isn't a real word and that people don't use it anymore. She said that "kind" is a more proper word. I've always felt shy about using the word nice since, but here in Romania people use it all the time!
Was my teacher right? I still hear the word being used until now...?
Monday, April 14, 2008
Site visit this week
Labels:
copart,
counterpart,
homework,
nice,
site visit,
sunday,
until,
wednesday
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I always thought nice was a US thing.
wow, i've never heard anything like that about the word "nice." weird. use it all you want! nice is a nice word. you are super nice. it's nice that you can say nice! ...okay, now that i'm saying it so much, it's not looking like a word at all. you know, like when you just stare at a common word, but can't figure it out? like "the." what is it? t-he. thee. tay. i dunno, maybe that's just me.
aaanyway, hope your site visit goes well.
I remember my teacher saying that too! I think we can still use the word nice though. It's a nice word. This is Cheryl by the way! And Brandon is here too. We just found out where your blog was hiding! Good luck on site visits. We miss you lots and lots.
Just remember that language is social currency and words are only valuable as they allow you to interact. Take your cues from those around you. If your teacher says that no one uses the word "nice"... but you hear people using the word "nice"... then obviously "nice" is a valuable coin in your purse even if your teacher doesn't think so.
Post a Comment