Wednesday, April 16, 2008

My site visit

I am on the mayor's wife's computer in the primaria (city hall?).
I met my counterpart Ivan: the mayor who's on his 3rd term and going for his 4th this year, and his translator and friend/employee Cristea.
Cristea is a lawyer and he's also running for mayor in the communa next door.

After 2 days of presentations and many coffee breaks and orientation stuff, we left Wednesday evening for Mastacani. I'd go into more details, but I don't know how long I have here before I go on a tour at the scoli (plural scoala).

I enjoyed a fun ride by masina (car) [ma-shen-nah] with these two famous and influencial men. I learned words like forest (multe compaci....I think) which means many trees.
They are really cool men, kind of fatherly figures who want to show me everything.

Anyway, I was dropped off at Luciana's house, she's a girl younger than I by a few months, but she's way mature. She lives in her parents' house and she has many animals: 1 mean watch dog, 2 sweet puppies, multe chicks, multe medium chicks, and chickens, and more!

Her parents came over to eat with us and we had fried fish with lemon and pepper and salt, it's life fish from home. The two gentleman dropped me off and said they would meet with me tomorrow. Luciana speaks enough englez to translate for me, and as long as she gets my intentions across it's okay. We did have some awkward moments with mis-translations, but it's okay.
Her home is nice, and since it's 1/2 outdoors it's sort of of like camping.
People get their water from wells here and I'm using an outhouse right now. I don't think my apartment will be like this, but it's okay. It's sort of like camping, except much better.

Today I saw the mayor's office and I saw many many schools and visited I think almost every class and promised? them stuff? like I'd bring them all pictures of Disneyland, because there's where I live next to...and Scooby-Doo (I don't think he's from Disneyland...., but now he is).
I saw all the kindergardens, met school principles, I will be teaching short english classes tomorrow for 2 schools, and I will be teaching english at at least 1 school after 5 mai (may 5th).

Everyone's smiling at me, and welcoming and it's spring and the weather is beautiful. This village is on hills, so it's sloopy and there's a river and lake next to us. It does not look like the blocks of Ploiesti, and I feel sad for the people in the towns in a way. They do have more modern things there, here is more beautiful (disclaimer, I'm working on limba romana, sacrafices will be made for now)

Funeral outside. more later

No comments: