Sunday, January 25, 2009

THINGS I ATE IN THE US - over the winter holidays

So, for those of you who didn't know, I went back to the US to be with my family and friends. I was gone from Romania for 11 days and I was in the US for 9. Traveling took a while, but it didn't bother me too much.

I was a pig, but it was expected and I didn't gorge myself alone =)

Breakfast, lunch and dinner for most of my stay at home. Yay leftovers!

Eggtarts - Chinese, Porkbuns - Chinese

Seasame fried sweets - Chinese, Grandma's eggcake - Chinese

Shrimp packets - Chinese, Mixed meat and veggie packets - Chinese

Steamed meat and veggie mix - Chinese, Fruit platter - presented by Uncle, arranged by sister

Tortilla chips and salsa dip- Mexican, Tritip roast - American

Sugar cookies - American, presented by Cousin; pastry filled with sugary coconut mix - Chinese

Sliced tritip roast: pepper, salt, cinnamon, and lots of garlic; honey ham - A

Meatball pasta sauce and pasta - Italian, More pictures of tritip roast

Saving of fat and scraps from roast to make gravy - American, Goat meat and tofu sheets mix - Chinese

A special type of rice baked with lots of other meats and veggies and taro root - Chinese, Steamed green veggie drizzled with oyster sauce - Chinese

Mixed veggies stirfried - Chinese and American, Steamed corn - American

New York home made Cheesecake (family favorite)- American

Chocolate pudding mint cake - American, Rice - Chinese

Pressure cooked cow flank and tendons and tofu marinated with soysauce and garlic and dressed with onions and cilantro - Chinese, soysauce steamed chicken and stir fried flat rice noodles - Chinese

Shark fin soup - (family favorite) Chinese, Bac-choy (green veggie stirfried) - Chinese

Alaskcan king crab steamed - American, fried chicken drum sticks with ginger- Chinese

Persimmons - Japanese

Chicken bun(pastry) - Chinese, Chicken bun dissected...no chicken inside but there's pork meat and mushroom and an egg = Sister's favorite and Chinese

Family dinner get together #2 = lots more rediculous eatting!

Soup was a clear jellyfishlike plant with chicken based broth..I think (I was too full to drink any) - Chinese, fried pork = yum yum! Chinese

Pei king duck? (aromated and steamed duck) - (the whole world's favorite) Chinese, stir fried fish..I forget the name, it's a white meat fish that's not too strong and over veggies - Chinese

Steamed tofu filled with fish paste and green onion mix over veggies - Chinese, Steamed chicken feet - Chinese

Salmon - American, Fresh salmon served with salt, pepper, and fresh lemon juice = MmmMmM

Taro root tapioca pudding - (one of Cynthia's favorites) Chinese, Chocolate fondue with fruits, cookies and cakes - French

Custard fruit cake to celebrate the birthdays of two dear cousins - American, Even after all that food we still polished off the cake - Chinese

Chicken feet, pork bones, dried date fruits, and root soup - Chinese

Fried calamari with peppers - Vietnamese, Boba black tea with milk - Chinese, STARBUCKS VANILLA CAFEA FRAPPICHINO - Good ol'American franchise that's on almost every block of our nation

Hot soup with thin slices of beef with beef broth and vermicelli noodles and Viet iced coffee - Vietnamese

Funnel cake at a carnival - American...but according to grandma it's Chinese too

Clams stir fried with onion and garlic-black-bean sauce - Chinese

Blue crabs stir fried with garlic and green onion and corn starch - Chinese

A part of the pig stir fried and premarinated with soy sauce and dried Chinese veggie - Chinese, An adolescent coconut - (another of Cynthia's favorites) An Asian country

A Californian salad made of pistachios, mango, mandarin oranges, avocados, lettice, etc... - American, Steamed half of a chicken with sauce - American

Grilled chicken over rice with side of green beans - American, Grilled Articoke - American

Cheese and Hamburger with side of fries = very very American and was ordered by Cynthia

I lost my camera when I went to this restaurant with Doc and Sneezy, but we were there and we ate food (I was sleepy due to jet lag) - Italian



4 comments:

katie said...

holy crap that's a lot food! but i think you forgot our trip to olive garden. oh well, you have enough here. and your sister is much better at making a fruit platter than we are :-(

amanda said...

i'm gonna add more :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( about our forgotten trip to olive garden and its yummy breadsticks. HAHA but it's okay, i was sick and you weren't hungry. but all these food pictures are making me hungry....

Cynthia said...

I totally didn't forget..persay!
I had lost my camera for 2 great days!
Olive garden and mall with friends and then I went to SF with my family too!

But...did any of you two take picture? Haha photophobic friends! No, we were just probably too cold/jetlagged/and sick to take any that night. We will next time.

Of the food and of us!

amanda said...

hahah Sneezy approves!! YAY!