Sunday, January 11, 2009

Staying warm livestyle changes

Food my neighbor gave me. She gives me free food and I say: B-oo-dah Pros-tee. It means something in terms of blessing the soul of someone who just died. It kinda goes with the tradition that: if someone in your family or a close friend dies, you need to be giving and give away food and items such as clothes and furniture to people. This giving of material stuff is good for your deceased loved one's spirit. Yay for yummy foods! It's mamaliga (corn meil boiled) and curca (a female turkey boiled) cu soc de ustori (with garlic sauce).


So, I mean I am in Peace Corps, and I do live in the country, but I wonder...are some of these hobbies really normal? to me it's like same old, do what I have to do now, but that's how most of my thinking goes now these days. Maybe these things aren't that odd and I just assume they should be.
Anyway, here's how my village looks like during the Winter. It has snowed maybe 2-3 times now, and the biggest snowing was during Christmas (while I was in the U.S. of course). The river where I played with the kids has frozen and I think I can ice skate, but dang it, it's just too cold outside! How East coasters in the US do it, I don't know! I may try next year?

At the mayor's office a lady was heating up her lunch in the soba (the source of heating for us at work). I have tried potatoes and surprisingly, I did burn about 1/2 of my attempts, but I didn't think about cooking meat. I do have marshmallows now, from my vacation in the US, so I may bring those out on a festive occasion. (Is it weird people are BBQing meat for lunch in our heating source in the mayor's office?, cause I want to recall that in SJ, CA, USA this would be not normal)

So to dry my clothes on the clothesline outside not only takes FOREVER, it also tends to freeze the clothes = breakable if dropped (though easily stackable). Drying them on the bathroom line over the tub does work too, but since it's still cold enough to see my breath there, usually, it takes about 4-5 days for things to dry. I've learned, ON the soba it takes maybe a few hours (but there's the danger of burning/melting your clothes, so I build this clothesline between my wardrobe and my soba! For those larger load days, I use chairs.

So drainage problem STRIKES BACK: the sequel. I've you've been following along with news of my apartment then you'll have heard that I don't have hot water because it wasn't connected correctly and I paid a small ransom for electric last Summer. My landlord has been hiring people to look at the boiler and to do things to help repair it. Such an inspection resulted in a "water floor" for 10 days that spread into my hallway and resulted in lots of wet socks. I told my landlord the first day I saw and tried to do damage control, so I felt like I did my part.
Okay, now part 2:
My water all backed up and was coming OUT the ground of my bathroom and getting thus More socks wet. I could bath and do dishes, but I had to dump the water outside and not down the drain. The toilet is on a separate system (thank goodness!!) and I sometimes cheated and dumped waste water down that drain.

What has so far sucked the most: doing laundry by hand with ice freezingly cold water and then trying to wring them dry and then having to hang them on lines over your soba and having water drip on your head while tossing in more wood to heat the room.
I can't say it was fun, but now I have a response for people who ask me why I wasn't placed to Live in the city, and then commute to work. AND MISS ALL THE FUN OF EXPERIENCING HOW PEOPLE IN THIS COMMUNE LIVE?!?!
Nope, I'm glad I live here because I think now I can understand their problems better and I'm more driven to helping them overcome them. I talked about this problem for about 5-6 days before people came to unclog the drain. The whole system was blocked for the block, but the backwash only happened to ME, of course.

Look, a main pipe has a water fall of ice. The picture is 90 degrees in the wrong direction.



I am also soooooo glad I don't have to take care of these kind of problems myself. SO glad!
We have a small septic tank for the normal waste water and the feces water (one system in front of the block and one behind). I hear that a truck comes 2 times a year to empty it. A lady across the street said they have a septic area now too, but it's not enforced by cement. I told her that's not good especially since she's so close to a well.

No comments: