Oh my gosh this week is passing very very quickly (rapid).
This last weekend I spend a good 4-5 hours getting myself lost, and later found, in Ploiesti.
I don't like depending on having escorts everywhere I go, so I took it upon myself to learn how to get around.
I learned how you have to go to taxi stations to take a taxi, I learned that bus stops exist, but are unmarked, and you have to just know where they are.
I also learned that buses (autobuz) are free in the evening, and they go until midnight.
The weekend was long. It was a bit frustrating because I spent more time with my family and we still can't understand each other very well (I am lucky to have such a welcoming family that doesn't speak any English, because on the long run my Romanian will progress faster).
I did go for some walks with other volunteers, and I did go to a discoteca Saturday night. My gazda father is more protective than my own father, it's very sweet, and I'm glad he worries for my well being.
Discoteca places are clubs, but think less of clubs in the city and more high school dances.
I've discovered that a lot of the Romanian youths hang out in clubs and bars, not really because they drink all the time, but because most youths can't afford to have their own places, even those who've graduated from college, so that's the social place to meet people and hang out with friends.
I found that interesting because I'm a homebody sort of girl and though I like to go out every once in a while, I enjoy evenings watching a movie, playing games, cooking and baking in the evenings, etc... and this is not something a lot of people my age have the option of doing here.
Wednesday, March 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment