Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Hardcore, not for the faint of heart

Here are overdue pictures of how we got our turkey for thanksgiving this year. Don't know if we'll do it again this year, but it was tasty. I brined the turkey cause the internet said so for wildturkey meat and if your oven tends to be too hot and you don't want it to burn. I want to thank the Fencing club at Cal Poly for training me to bake turkeys. The dial to my oven is a big dot and small one, so I had no idea how hot my turkey was baking. =) It worked!

Here is the outside water pot. Here is our turkey! 7kgs!

The owner is holding it, then I am holding it.

She had put it in this sack to weight it. She has lots of girl and boy ones. We got a girl turkey: O CORC (a turkey) [oh cork], and a boy turkey is called: un curcan (a turkey) [oon cork-cah-an]
Here she chops off the head in an area that was secluded. There's the body.


Here you put the body in hot boiled water so it's easier to pull the feathers off.

The blade that did the deed. Here you flame the turkey! so it burns off the small feathers.

Here's the bits after we were done! We gutted the turkey after we flamed it and all. Now it looks like a turkey! with a small breast. The wishbone was huge! except..we didn't end up snapping it during dinner and now I've misplaced it. Hum.

It was a good thanksgiving =) Now maybe I can kill my own chickens. Come springtime.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

their turkey's don't look like ours huh? maybe ours are all injected with hormones and crap to make them fat... I bet your eating healthier (if not organic) there in Romania...