Monday, December 1, 2008

Miercuri - Romania

So the plan was this: I would find PCVs (Peace corps volunteers) to do a presentation the other days for the respectful countries, but the school: the students and teachers would be in charge of introducing Romania. Which we did on Wednesday and I tried to invite all the presenters and any PCVs in our vicinity.
Parents, grandparents, and family who didn't have work came too!!


Traditional food grandmothers had made: sarmalute (s-ahr-mah-loo-zeh), placinta (plah-chin-tah), and cozonac (koh-zone-nak). One is rice, meat, and other veggies mixed and slow boiled overnight, one is a pastry with milk and cheese with flaky pastry cover, and the last is sweet bread cake. All of it was great!! The best I'd tasted. The flowers weren't edible, they were Fall flowers.


The teachers made a power point presentation about Romania's tradition...and I tried to focus and understand really! Mihaela of Romanian, Geanina of History, and Lili of 2nd grade.
Look at the audience =) and we were guests of honor: The mayor, Emily, Myself, Dan and Nils. The 4 of us are PCVs and the other 3 live near me.

Kids in traditional costumes.

The kindergardeners got out and they came to watch.
Here's the mayor with his cute son.


Here's the mayor's daughter singing. She's the one on the right and the best English speaker in the school. She's also great at Romanian singing. They recited a long poem first, and then they sang about 6-7 songs, and danced the hora to a few of those songs, and later they just danced without singing.

Mihaela taught the poem, the Romanian teacher. The Biology teacher choreographed and taught the singing and dancing.

The biology teacher made me smile cause she's like a ballet teacher, like any that I've known. She has the right attitude and character, and I myself have been in studios and classes from when I was 5-through college, dancing.


Great performance!! Here's some short footage.




There's also the PE teacher, who loves to dance =)
I like this picture to the right =)

That's the director's arm and a few other teachers got in the picture.
The next one grandmothers and parents got in the picture too. Too bad I don't know how we'll get a copy to them.

Next, here is where we ate all that traditional food!
I'm glad the kids got to enjoy the food, and they enjoyed.
We were spoiled, look at our table! We had mamaliga too, which is corn meal boiled, that's the round cheese thing.

I ate only 5. I like these a lot, it has rice!

Here's a picture with the teachers really invovled, and I admire how into the project they got. Sometimes I hear about how teachers don't care, and so I was happy to see how each person ran off with their own ideas on how to make Mihaela's project better. From left to right: Director/4th grade teacher, Biology, Romanian, PE, English/French, Chemistry/Physics, History/Technology, 2nd grade teacher.
Here a teacher goes from 1st-4th grade with the same group of students, and the kids have subject classes from 5th-8th grade.

No comments: