Saturday, October 24, 2009

Football - American and Romanian

My attempt to organize football games between schools.


Kids came to me, and made a beautiful poster...I took a picture, but I can't find it. Announcing the time and place where we would play American football.

I inherited a bag of flag belts from another volunteer and we put them to good use.

One school has played football with me like 5 times, so they won. 19 pts to 0 pts. The kids understood the rules had fun.

I'm not a football player, so I tried my best to get the rules straight.

9am on a cold Saturday morning. That's how devoted we were.

That kid in the checkered jacket took my bike (I had told him to go away several times because he was being a dickhead/ass while we were trying to play) and f*ed with it until he twisted the tire and messed it up so that I had to walk the bike home. I'm sorry if I'm still bitter, but...

Kitten picture to sooth my anger.

Here was the Sunday (the next day). It was an European football game between the same schools and more students came. One school's color was red and the other yellow.

I made them score cards. They're waving around 5's but no one scored 5 points.

I gave up trying to limit the number of kids that could play. I had talked to: the mayor, the vice-mayor, the chief of police and 3 other cops about having some other adult supervision during that game.....

Most of the kids were good kids that just wanted to have fun.

Some kids helped me out by volunteering to be referees.

Some kids didn't want to get their leather jackets dirty while playing...


We agreed on 20min halves, with a 5 min break in between. I brought 6 bottles of water for the kids from my house, and I bought them a box of cookies.

During our 5 min break, some of the obnoxious boys ran off with the ball I had purchased because no one had brought one. That ended the game. I went with some kids to tell the cops (whom were standing at the other side of the market).

This was the final score. The bad kids all go to the school that had earned 3 points. Kids are kids. I'm sure I'm much more upset at the authorities than the children here, but I think I gave it my best. There's not much more I could have done.

I would like to try this again, but I can't without more community support. I feel bad for the kids that were having fun. It was fun while it lasted.

This took place 2 weeks ago.

2 comments:

Cynthia said...

And I was still bitter up until yesterday. I discussed with some local teachers on how to win the respect of kids when specific children undermine us, and about how to deal with the trouble some ones. They have no answer for me.
Also, apparently that kid who messed with my bike has ADD and is mentally unstable...so I can't take it personally. I'm working on getting over it all. Maybe I'll go to that school and help with English and bond with those kids. maybe. or not.

Unknown said...

what is up with those kids????? i'm mad too!!!!! all your hard work and they ran off with the ball????