Saturday, February 7, 2009

Chinese New Year - In Romania '09

So there aren't any flattering pictures of me..but what can I do.
FIRST: Apology for having thus far 1 entry for Feb. and Feb is almost over! and I will now attempt to make it up. Try...
Here we go: Quick and messy...
Nancy and I in the restaurant with jellyfish salad before us. I could tell it came from a packet, but I was still suprised it was offered on the menu!
Emily and I organized it like Tuesday of that week: Friday night dinner in the city. There were 9 present: 6 PCVs, 2 mormons from the US, and 1 Romanian =)
It was a fun and yummy experience.

It was a very fulfilling meal and I spent a whopping 40 ron that meal...which is a lot BUT is probably the equivalent of $13 (which is not bad at all in terms of USD!!).
I personally ordered: a tea, a sizzling beef plate, rice, rice bread, and shared in dessert.
And we were all so curious about "Fried Milk" or "lapte prijita" so we had to get it.
It was "Year tall cake" [nian-gou] with sweet condensed milk. I was happily surprised!!
Eating this cake represents: growing the next year; in wealth, health, height, all things you want to grow.
FOR THE TWO WEEK HOLIDAY I:
I wore my small jade charm on a red string, and tried to eat all sorts of traditional foods: cabbage, mushrooms, chicken, I bought a 5 lb fish...sweets, mandarin oranges =)
It was a big fish, the smallets of the bunch called: [nov-lak] and it was 21 ron for 2.5kgs. I bought it in a box in someone's backyard, who lives 3 houses away from the Primaria.
I DID get sick the first time I ate it, Not cause it was unfresh, but cause I fried the fish in 3 month old cooking oil.
I learned: do not reuse frying old that's 3 months old, "by doing." Poly's motto still applys even after college!

I also used my special gift from Charm. The thing is so light and precise in my hands. Like a good sword.

2 comments:

Charmaine said...

Yay! I'm glad they came in handy! Did you put the fish on the ground and have the cats sniff it? I'm really confused by that picture.

Cynthia said...

Yes, the whole setup with the cats and fish was planned.
hahah.
The story goes: Mom says eating fish for Chinese NY would bring wealth and fortune for the following year because "yu"= fish, and "yu" (with a slightly different accent)= gold/money/wealth.
So I was sitting at the computer at the mayor's office and people were carrying plastic bags with 10lb fish. So I went outside and bought the smallest one: 5lbs.

The picture is of me cleaning the fish outside: gutting and scaling it. The cats were assisting me with the cleaning of the fish...with their tongues. I did throw them off my fish a few times, cause they were getting too edger.