Saturday, November 7, 2009

Green/Verde My favorite rooster is dead

This is a picture of him last week. He was the biggest fattest greediest and most needy chicken in the yard. He followed me around. He came when I he heard me come out my door. He came running when I would call for the chickens in the morning for breakfast.
He loved the sound of running water and loved to drink the water out from the hose while I was washing things or filling water trays. When it would rain, he would be standing in the puddles because he loved wet feet. I was forever refilling water trays this summer because Verde loved to stand in the trays and would knock all the water out. He had a lot of personality.

Yesterday morning I noticed that he was still in bed after all the other chickens had left. I swatted him out with a broom, but I was concerned. I gave him more food and I let him be.
I saw him later that day sitting under a tree, and he didn't really move from that spot.
I put food in front of him...he's normally a mean pig about food. So last night, I made him a nest and I hoped he would make it to the morning.
He made it. But he didn't make it past noon.
Everyone told me to kill him and make soup. A sick chicken is edible, but a dead one is bad.

I couldn't do it.

Let us watch Verde's (V-air-days) baby videos in his memory.

One is Green and the other one is Blue..but I forget which is which.

My neighbor's cat Nemo felt my pain and helped me dig the hole. Kiki supervised...as usual.


Good bye Verde. Life in the garden isn't the same with you gone. =(

No comments: