Sunday, November 2, 2008

IST (In-Service Training) = Checking of volunteers' sanity after 6 months

There were some volunteers who thought this whole thing was boring and a waste of time. I on the other hand needed this "vacation" and it was fun...though jam-packed busy.
Again here was our schedule from 9-6pm every day
(but really more like 7:30am-9pm or 11pm every day =) )

We had language classes (grammer and different topics about Romania), meetings about grants, about how to get along with people, etc... But there was an underlying theme I observed in all of this: everyone made an emphasis on how "well we were doing" "how we were going in the right direction" "how blah blah blah"
It was great! I felt so proud of myself, I needed to pat myself on the back after every conversation with a staff member, BUT I think that was one of the points of IST: to make the volunteers not feel down about not communicating well, not knowing what they're doing in their new organization, not having made real friends yet, etc....
So: seminars, skits, dancing, etc...


My buddy Emily made a WHOLE BOOK by herself to help those of us still struggling with language. It's topic oriented and very cute and purse size. She's using it to fundraise for a student organization too!

Here are some volunteers with our name tags, discussing a a topic to present. Next picture is of counterparts who came to the conference. In order: Nils', Emily's, and then both of my replacement counterparts: the mayor and a lawyer.

We were at a hotel with 8 floors, so I took some morning pictures from the 7th (the 8th had a satalite dish and the door was chained shut). My eyes look crazy, but the background is pretty so oh well. I'm sure my eyes don't really look like that normally.


We ate sooooo well at the hotel!!! Yum!! Great service too! and oh! the Deserts, I didn't take pictures of them cause I was busy scarfing the sweets. Breakfast, breakfast, lunch, and for dinner we didn't eat at the hotel so we got money to eat where we wanted to.

That's buddy Jenn there copying language notes after class. =)

Most nights I went out because this was the first time I saw most of my colleagues from PST (about 5 months ago). Some people didn't eat out at all and saved the extra money. I'm a saver too, but when I am out to have fun I like to have fun. This food is Hungarian and it's called prnounced: Gooh-lah-sh. It's a zesty soup with beef stew chuncks and potatoes. For dinners that week I tried Hungarian and Italian.


3 comments:

Charmaine said...

You look like you are wearing makeup in the picture but you don't look funny. Cool fog.

Anonymous said...

deserts=desserts
grammer=grammar
chuncks=chunks

You're making Cal Poly look bad.

Go Mustangs.

Cynthia said...

hey! in my defense, I majored in Biochemistry! not in spelling or even in English!

Though for some reason, I am now teaching English...